wrench-ed brought to you from the same mind that brings you Sprinting the Bell Lap. you have been warned

Friday, January 20, 2012

gettin learned

One of the cool things about working in a bike shop is learning.  There is so much to learn, even when you think you know, you don't.  I am learning all kinds of things, and one of the most important, when dealing with turning wrenches, is how the experts do things.  The guys I work with know.  They know what they are doing, and have been doing it for some time.  Working on your bike in your garage drinking beers is light-years away from doing it in a shop setting for customers.  I'm not saying I don't like it.  It is different, and I will become more efficient at what I do, now when I spend time in the garage wrenching on my own livery I will be able to get more done and have the knowledge to back it up.  I will be like an up-graded me, bigger, badder, better.  Glenn Duh 2.0h!

Most of the skills required to work on bikes are more like art.  To true a wheel is not as simple as turn here and turn here.  It requires sight, touch, hearing, and the artistic ability to make something beautiful.  As beautiful as a perfectly true wheel.  No bounce, no wobble.  It is an artform to get it to look like you want it.  Spinning perfection. Art. 

I've witnessed the resurrection of the dead.  Truly an art to see.  A neglected bike, rusted and worn, in the workstand in the beginning.  Trued wheels, new rubber, cables, brakes, adjusted here and there, some cleaning, more lube, and we have life.  A bike that started it's life as someones toy or transportation, it gets pushed aside and dies a painful death of rust.  One day someone takes pity on this poor machine and brings it the local bike faith healer.  Hands are placed, wrenches and screwdrivers turn, and miracles do happen.

I want to be one of the chosen few who can work miracles.  I will have to do my penance and gain my knowledge, but learning the art is suffering for the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment