wrench-ed brought to you from the same mind that brings you Sprinting the Bell Lap. you have been warned

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BFF

Yesterday was a full day.  Geared up to fight the elements on the ride to work.  Tights might have been overkill, but I was toasty warm, almost too warm.  Maybe I rode to hard?  I took the CX bike so I could ride Turkey on the way home, I packed lights to fight the dark.  Can't call it a commute, it is a bike ride and it is hella fun.

I started off my day cleaning the shop, new guy duty.  Plus, I have already been programed by generations of women to clean.  This, I know how to do.  Not the most enviable skill set, but highly useful.  Helped the UPS guy unload bikes, lots of bikes, bikes that I will eventually get to build into someones ride.  Every bike I build will become someones tool, transportation, toy, weapon to hurt the person next to them on a climb, and best friend.

My bike is my best friend, there are many like it, but this one is mine.  

Speaking of building bikes, I got to try my hand at building my first bike.  Super-supervised.  It is work, but like I said, this bike will become something to someone I might never meet.  If I happen to meet this person who will own this bike, we will have something in common.  We ride bikes.  It does not matter if you are important or you think you are important, we all shed who we are when we throw a leg over a top-tube.  We all become a rider-of-bikes.  Doctors on trophy bikes all the way down to the little kid on a push bike.  Our common thread is woven with the Tour rider to the commuter, our DNA has pedals, chains, wheels, saddles, and handle bars in it.

I know I am only three days into this, I know I am going to have great days and bad good days.  If my perspective ever changes please feel free to verbally slap me.  Live the way you want to live, enjoy what you do, and if you don't at least do your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment