wrench-ed brought to you from the same mind that brings you Sprinting the Bell Lap. you have been warned

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Almost

I got to ride my MTB to work today.  Turkey Mountain is sandwiched between work and home, lucky me.  Getting to commute to work on a bike is something special, and I plan on making it a habit.  It is all of three miles to work, so it is kind of a waste to drive a car.  My only issue is there is a pretty nasty climb on the way home on the road, so to avoid the climb and traffic there is a circumvent that adds a few miles.  Even with the reroute there is a small climb.  Why not make it fun and ride the MTB and get in some miles off-road in the process.  That's what I did.

Saturday at a bike shop is pretty busy, or can get pretty busy.  I found out today that I have a lot to learn about bikes.  Bikes that I don't ride.  It is a bitter pill to swallow when you find out you know less than you think you know.  I really thought I was fairly educated on the two-wheeled machine.  NO.  Beside all of the bikes that we carry, there are several hundred bikes that other bike shops have in inventory.  This makes for a very challenging amount of information to put into the brain.

Realization #1) I don't know anything about BMX bikes, but I do want to learn.  I also would like to ride one on some very small dirt jumps.  That would be fun, a lot of fun.  That is on my bike to do list.  BMX.  Realization #2) I don't know the first thing about comfort/cruiser bikes.  Yes, I even want to learn about this type of bike.  I crave the knowledge that will help inform people about bikes and hopefully get them on one.

I feel that if I had been more knowledgeable on my comfort bikes, I would have had a sale today.  They did come back at close to ride the bike again, which is a good sign.  It's a good bike, a smoking deal, and...they said they will be in tomorrow.  Kind of wish I could work tomorrow just in case they come back.  It was fun to watch them ride the bike around the parking lot like big kids with a new fun toy.

Today taught me that I have more to learn.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, I just don't like when I don't know.  It is tough to show weakness, and knowledge is power.  I for now am the weak link.  Time to HTFU, pardon my French.

3 comments:

  1. Is there a BMX course around here? I have a Haro that has not seen any dirt at all. Ever. Find us a course and you borrow a bike from the shop and let's do this. Sounds like a sure way to end my 2012 race season before it even begins, but also sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey Mnt has a BMX pump track and some crazy dirt jumps. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Sand Springs has a BMX race track right there at the 97 bridge going over the Arkansas, we ride by it all the time.

    ReplyDelete